How to install the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 on OS X Mavericks (and Yosemite)

Installing the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 on Mac requires a few good Google searches

UPDATE OCTOBER 2016: OS X Sierra created several compatibility issues with the ScanSnap application, so several patches are being released by Fujitsu. Read their official update regarding ScanSnap compatibility for the popular iX500 and S1500 models.

One of my favorite home office devices is my Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 scanner. I purchased it in 2009 and have used it consistently, although Fujitsu recently replaced the S1500 with the updated ScanSnap iX500 model.

Because the S1500 is no longer available for retail purchase, I had a challenging time trying to figure out how to install the S1500 on my Mac Pro with OS X Mavericks.

Google searches turned up a variety of discussion boards and posts from Fujitsu, but it took a half-dozen searches to finally find the exact file I needed.

ScanSnap Manager for Mac

So for anyone looking to install an existing Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 on their new Mac with OS X Mavericks, here is the page from Fujitsu you need to visit to download the .dmg installer.

If you prefer to link directly to the .dmg file, here it is (433MB): http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/IMAGE/driver/ss/mgr/m-s1500/ScanSnap.dmg

Unidentified Developer

One quick note about the installation process: if you click on the .dmg file to begin installation, Mavericks will complain that it “can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.”

This message comes from the Gatekeeper security feature added in OS X 10.8 and higher. So to successfully open the file, either right click the file or press Control and click the file, then select Open from the context menu. Next, click Open in the warning dialog box and installation will continue.

Let me know if these links expire, and I will update them accordingly to make the installation process as smooth as possible for you.

Tags:

13 Responses to “How to install the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 on OS X Mavericks (and Yosemite)”

1. AdrianDB January 6, 2014 11:08 am #

This works fine for using the supplied software, but the device still isn’t recognized by the OS as a scanner. If you open Image Capture the device isn’t listed. Is it possible to have the s1500M recognized by OS X in this manner?

• Bill Winterberg January 6, 2014 11:24 am #

Adrian,

I haven’t fully troubleshooted this, but I believe the answer is no, Mac OS X will not be able to recognize the S1500 directly as a scanner.

ScanSnaps do not come with TWAIN drivers, so they must be used with Fujitsu’s supplied software in order to work on both Windows and Mac OS.

So from day one, I’ve been using Fujitsu’s software to scan on my iMac and now on my Mac Pro.

2. Paul March 10, 2014 10:15 pm #

This, this was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Love my ScanSnap, feeling my way around Mavericks. Thanks very much for putting this where I could find it when I needed it!

• Bill Winterberg March 11, 2014 8:22 am #

Awesome Paul, glad to hear you found the links useful!

3. Ross Richardson April 17, 2014 2:09 pm #

Hey, Bill: I just moved my S1500 to my MacBook from previous computer, and used the original install disk before recalling this post. It actually loaded the software and the scanner worked, but only would allow scans in Standard mode, none of the Scan To modes. I downloaded the dmg you linked and now it all works fine. I have a portable S300 I’ll be tackling next. Thank you!

4. Eva Weber May 12, 2014 8:27 am #

Dear Bill,

Many, many thanks for this post. Your link worked a treat and probably saved me hours in finding a solution! Thank you!

Kind regards,
    Eva

5. Jeff W. June 4, 2014 11:01 am #

Bill, if I download this file can I bypass the installation CD? My Mac doesn’t have a CD drive.

Jeff

• Bill Winterberg June 4, 2014 11:23 am #

Jeff,

You shouldn’t need the complete installation CD. This .dmg file should have everything you need to install the ScanSnap Manager software and the device drivers.

• Jeff W. June 4, 2014 11:27 am #

Wonderful! Thank you.

• Jeff W. June 11, 2014 1:08 pm #

I downloaded and installed this installation manager on OS X 10.9.3. It seems to work. I’ll let you know if I run into any issues. The add-ons didn’t download (e.g., ABBy Finereader). But I can’t remember what I used those for anyway. Scanning business cards in bulk?

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

• Bill Winterberg June 11, 2014 1:17 pm
            #

Jeff,

You’re correct in that the separate software like ABBYY FineReader is not installed, but I do believe the underlying OCR engine from ABBYY *is* installed. This is the OCR software that runs in the background if you have the “Convert to Searchable PDF” checkbox selected in the ScanSnap’s settings under the “File option” tab.

Here’s an image where that setting is found in the ScanSnap Manager.

ABBYY OCR Settings

6. Eric November 25, 2014 1:33 pm #

I’ve got the ScanSnap iX500 and just downloaded and installed the software from Fujitsu’s site today. It does seem to install and run correctly, with the exception that scanning and converting to searchable PDF results in an ERROR – OCR Unsuccessful in the file list in the converter app. So I’m trying to get a newer copy of the converter to see if that fixes the issue… I’m running the latest update of Mavericks.

• Bill Winterberg November 27, 2014 2:37 pm #

Eric,

I originally installed the the ScanSnap software to my Mac with OS X Mavericks, and then updated to Yosemite last month. I haven’t had any issues with scanning to searchable PDFs, but I don’t do that very often. It may be as simple as reinstalling the package from scratch once again.